Alanya

Alanya is established on a small peninsula between the Toros Mountains in the north and Mediterranean Sea in the south. As it was situated on the line between Pamfilya and Kilikya, sometimes it's called Pamfilya, sometimes Kilikya. There is no proven information about the date of the first habitation. The researches made by Prof. Kılınç Kökten on 1957 at Kadı ini Cavern, (12km far from the center), show that the history goes to Upper Paleolitik period (20.000 - 17.000 years before Jesus). The first name that we know is Korakesium. In Byzantine time the name of Kalanoros is given to the city, in 13th century the Seldjuk Emparor 1.Alaiddin Keykubat (1200-1237) has conquiert the castle and changed it’s name to Alaiye. Finally, Ataturk has visited the town on 1935 and named it Alanya. Korakesium is mentioned first time by Scylax, the geographic of 4th century B.J. At this time the Persians are dominating the Anatolia. Then after famous antic time writer Strabon, Piri Reis, Seyyep, Ibni Batuta and Evliya Çelebi have visited the area and wrote about it in their Travel Books. There is no much information about the beginning and the Byzantine time of the region. The defense of the town became important because of the Arab's attacks during the 7th century A.J and the construction of castle, towers had priority. This is the reason why you can find many castle and churches in Alanya and around Alanya dated 6th and 7th centuries A.J. Seldjuk Emparor 1.Alaadin Keykubat has won the war with governing family Kyr Vart on 1221 and built a "Saray" on his name. The Seldjukian used Alanya as the second capital beside Konya and they did many works in town. The Mongolian attacks on 1243, the arrival of Egypte Memlukies in Anatolia are the reason of decrease of the Seldjukians which ended by the demolition of the Emparium. The region is sold to Memlukies for a price of 5.000 gold. Finally, Ottoman Emparor Fatih Sultan Mehmet added Alanya in Ottoman's land. Alanya was added to Cyprus on 1571, to Konya on 1864, to Antalya on 1868. It became officially town of Antalya on 1871.


...